Sunday 17 February 2008

Zblog #3

Zblog #3
DIFFERENT DRAFTS
Okay, as this is a-work-in-progress-novel the version or draft that you read on this page will almost certainly change as the novel progresses. The as-I-write-it postings are actually the second draft as the first draft is the original play version of Space Invaders! that I wrote in 1984/85. Now that I have started to post the second chapter, I realise that a lot more work needs to be done on the first chapter - which I will do and then re-post ALPHA Chapter One as a complete chapter in a third draft version. Phew!
INTRODUCING CHARACTERS
The first few chapters, or sections of Space Invaders! are taken up, to some extent, with introducing the characters. I have four main sets of characters in three different locations and a number af additional but important characters that will be seen at crucial times in the storyline. I don't want to give too much away here but I'm hoping to 'throw in' some extras that couldn't have been easily accommodated in the original playscript.
LAYOUT + DESIGN
What I have found out is that there is no easy way to layout an Online novel. I've had a look at the way some other people do it and at best it's a higgledy-piggledy mess.
So,what is the answer? Answer, I don't know!
In my case, I'm designing a format for Space Invaders! to grow into. Firstly, I have the wysiwyg postings. Then, I hope to do a third draft of each chapter which I will then post as a complete chapter. When I start to re-post my third draft chapters, I will have a clink-the-link-thingy in the side bar. Which, if I get the design right will be in reading order. For example, chapter one will be followed by chapter two etc. Am I driving you mad?

No comments: